Banana bread. Everybody loves it, and it makes great use of those old darkening bananas. So how about an even tastier version, that doubles up as a super healthy protein snack? Have it at home or on-the-go, pre or post workout. This is a great snack for fuelling up on healthy carbs, fats and protein.You can easily adapt this banana bread recipe to be gluten-free and/or vegan by using ingredient alternatives outlined below. Plus, by using a low-GI fruit syrup for sweetness, this banana bread should suit most diabetics, too.
High Protein Banana Bread: here’s how
You will need:115g oats or pure oats 165g self-raising wholemeal (or gluten free) flour 40g fruit syrup or agave syrup 50g melted butter or coconut oil 2.5 large spotty bananas, mashed 2 scoops Motion Nutrition Peanut Butter Protein Powder 2 eggs (or vegan egg replacer) 1 tsp baking powder Pinch salt 80ml almond milk
Method:Begin by pre-heating your oven to gas mark 4 / 180 Celsius / 350 Fahrenheit. Line a bread tin with parchment paper. Now follow these steps:
- In a bowl beat together the eggs and milk. Once done, add the butter/coconut oil, fruit syrup and mashed banana and whizz everything together.
- Once well combined (some lumps will occur) add the salt and baking powder and whizz together.
- Now, add the flour, oats and protein powder and gently hand stir with a spoon until everything is combined.
- Spoon your mixture into the tin, making an even layer.
- Top with some banana coins if you wish (for the extra Instagram points).
- Place the tin in the centre of the oven to bake for 60-70 minutes. Cooking times will vary so make sure you keep an eye on it! Insert a knife into the middle of the bread. If it comes out clean then it’s done. If not, back in it goes!
- Once your banana bread is cooked, remove from the oven and leave to cool in its tin for 10 minutes. Finally remove and allow to cool further.
How long will you make it last?You can keep your banana bread a good few days, sealed in a Tupperware and placed in the fridge. But will it really last longer than a day or two?
Original recipe created and shared by Hannah. Thanks for sharing Hannah! Looking for another healthy snack to bring with you on the go? Try our Roasted Peanut Protein balls.