We love a sweet snack. A gooey, sweet snack. A fudgy, chocolatey, gooey, sweet snack. Yes, we do love a good slice of brownie! And we love it even more when it's positively good for us. So here's our latest, real healthy snack recipe for you, courtesy of our brilliant nutritional therapist Phoebe Liebling.These fudgy fantasies are packed with plant-based protein, fibre and antioxidants. Plus, they’re gluten free, dairy free AND refined-sugar free. Win! Here's how it goes.
Healthy snack recipe: high-protein Cacao Orange Brownies
Ingredients - Makes 10-12 nutrient-rich brownies
- 1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed (yes, you read that right. Just trust us.)
- ½ cup tahini (you could also use your favourite nut butter)
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 ½ tablespoons raw cacao powder
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 scoop / 1 sachet Motion Nutrition Roasted Peanut Vegan Protein
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons nut milk of choice
- ½ cup dark chocolate pieces
- ¼ cup hazelnuts or walnuts
- To serve: cashew or coconut yoghurt, frozen raspberries
- Preheat your oven to 175°C
- Line a brownie tin with baking parchment.
- Add all of your ingredients except the chocolate pieces & walnuts/hazelnuts to a food processor, blending until smooth.
- Give the nuts & chocolate a bash on the counter or with a rolling pin to roughly break up, then add to your food processor & pulse 1-2 times to incorporate. Don't blend too much: you want to keep some chunks of nuts and chocolate.
- Transfer to your tin, spread to about 2-3cm thickness & bake for 22-25 mins until slightly firm to the touch. Don't overdo it!
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes, then lift out & pop on a wire rack.
- Once cool, cut into pieces & plate, topping with yoghurt & roughly crushed raspberries.
- Use within 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months for a healthy snack whenever you want!
Want more supercharged snacks like this one from Phoebe? Check out our healthy recipes blog page.